Saturday, September 27, 2008

Start a New Members/Believers Class

I have found over the years that whenever a new members/believers class is announced that there is usually a response. People often come for this class when they wouldn't walk down the aisle or "come forward" as we traditionally practice.

It took me a while in past years to figure out that it is ok if they don't come forward in a church service before new believers or members can join the church. I wasn't sure if you could do it without voting "to receive them as candidates for baptism and upon their baptism into full fellowship of the church". This formality is unnecessary. However, taking new believers/members through spiritual preparation before they join the church is far more effective in producing long term spiritual results.

Announcing a new believers/members class will enable newcomers/guests/new believers to assimilate much more readily into the church and receive the spiritual direction and counselling that they need.

Start a New Members/Believers Class even if you don't need one!
David

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have experienced that people will attend a New Believers class to learn about the Bible and the Church. We've used this class as a "beginning/elementary" Discipleship tool. It's been quite effective.

David P Smith said...

Hey Jason, I somehow accidentally delted your comment. sorry! Try again.
Thanks Steve your confirmation of having a new member's class as a discipleship tool. By the way, it is very effective for outreach as well.
David

Anonymous said...

I haven't noticed the evangelism benefit yet, but it is an easy way to welcome new attenders. We have our class in a living room next door to the church, so it's a little more relaxed and more comfortable for unchurched people.

David P Smith said...

Hey Frank Fears, thanks for your submission, but I think I deleted it by accident. I apologize for that. Not sure how it happened. I want to welcome you to contribute to our blogsite as often as you wish. I have read your book! It's great.
Send me some more comments.
David