Friday, August 29, 2008

Quit Wasting Time

There are some who would die for an argument or a debate. Quite frankly, I don't believe much is accomplished through some of that.

Debating an issue or discussing something to endless detail can waste a lot of good quality time that could be spent doing outreach and soulwinning. I have seen some of my brothers get eaten up with this to the point that they will debate the scripturality of a matter to the point of 'ad naseum'. They will endlessly debate and quarrel over biblical methods of evangelism without ever evangelizing!

Argue with the Lord about some of these things and see who wins the argument:
1. "Go ye into all the world and make disciples..."
2. "Preach the gospel to every creature..."
3. "Even as my Father hath sent me so send I you..."
4. "I came to seek and to save that which was lost."
5. "Ye shall be witnesses unto me..."
6. "Compel them to come in ..."

I say it's time to quit wasting time in useless debate and start doing something that will count for eternity.

4 comments:

Leland Acker said...

On a similar note, do you feel like our constant scrutiny of the missions policy along with the tendency to ask missionaries to jump through more hoops in order to obtain missions funds also hinders the spread of the Gospel?

It seems much discussion is aimed at "holding them missionaries and sponsoring churches accountable" rather than "what can we do to facilitate the planting of new churches and the making of new disciples."

David P Smith said...

Bro Leland, those are my sentiments exactly.
David

Anonymous said...

My sentiments too. I think WE as christians (not just pastors and missionaries) should be held accountable BUT we need to cut through the nonsense and get people moving. Something is wrong when we would rather debate an issue rather than support the people who want to do something.

If people are DOING things then get behind then and give them all the support you can. If they are NOT DOING something then GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY FOR THE ONES WHO ARE!!!

It seems to me there are a LOT of politics and scrutiny instead of support and guidance.

John Skipworth

Anonymous said...

Another thought on Lelands comment. The jumping through hoops is EXACTLY what I was talking about in previous comments about not liking deputation. The ONLY thing that should be in question is your ability to lead others to Christ and to form a cohesive group with one goal in mind: MAKING DISCIPLE WHO MAKE DISCIPLES!
John Skipworth