Friday, August 15, 2008

Is My Way the Only Way?

No, my way is not the only way to do church planting, do witnessing, do mininstry, or do anything for that matter. But I've found some good ways that are working very effectively and not just for me but many others as well.

My way is nothing more than a compilation of many ways that I have seen ministry done over the last 40 years. Some has been good, some has not been good. I have always tried to throw out the bad and keep the good. We were taught that in Bible school as I recall.

Sometimes I threw out the good, because I believed it was bad. Sometimes I kept the bad because I believed it was good! Ultimately, the Word of God and the Holy Spirit have brought me back to seek a balance in all of it for which I am thankful to God.

It is my prayer that some will see things a little differently than they did before they read these blogs. If "my way" of dong ministry has stirred some controversy then so be it. My intention is nothing more than to stir God's people to get up and out of their comfort zones and do some serious ministry before Jesus comes back.

"My way" is working for now, is yours? If your way is working, tell us about it, we need to know about it so that we can work together to advance the kingdom of God, reproduce churches, evangelize the lost and reach the unreached, and make more disciples who will disciple others.

David

2 comments:

Leland Acker said...

Yeah, you ticked me off when you preached at the Macedonian Missions Conference at TBI back in 2005. You were preaching on soulwinning, and said, "If you've never led a soul to the Lord, I'm not going to pick on you. I'm going to shame you for not doing what the Lord has taught us to do" (or something like that).

At the time, I thought "Well, it's not for a lack of trying." However, when I did a self-inventory, I realized that I was not sharing the Gospel like I should. I began making a point of doing so.

Since then, I have been blessed to be able to lead four people to Christ. That is hardly a figure to write home about, but I'm learning and growing. I hope others do the same.

The controversies that surround your board seem to be the result of breakdowns in communication rather than ideals. In some cases it may be ideals, but I believe in most cases, it's communication. If we can get everyone speaking the same language, I think that will help a lot.

God Bless you.

David P Smith said...

Leland, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Finding the right words to communicate is a challenge for me. Please pray for me. I need your prayers and everyone else's. My desire is only one thing: to promote the increase of God's kingdom work.

Sometimes I have found that if I use the terminology others are comfortable with that they are less likely to think things through. Although, some won't think, they'll just react with knee jerk reactions.

Help me out with the communications thing. Any insight will be seriously considered.
Praise God that you have lead 4 to Christ. There will be many more in your future, by the grace of God.

David