Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Would Your Church Be Missed?

If your church closed its doors today, would anyone but its own members notice? Would it be missed? Would the city or community be saddened because such a great community transformation partner was gone? Or would it even miss a beat?

These are questions that, if genuinely considered, will take a great commission church to a whole new level of discussion. It would probably be more a question of deeds than of words.

I'm not sure but that many churches would not be missed too much except by the members of these churches.

What is a community transformation partner? It is a church that not only knows what is going on in the community but is part of the transformation of that community.

Think about it. Would your church be missed?

David P Smith

6 comments:

lukasuzuki said...

I am really want to see no missed chruch.

I hopely someday want to visit your church Bro. david hearlfully.

Living churh!

No messed churh!

God bleess you from Japan!

Kevin Higgins said...

David, I've been giving your questions some thought the last few days and wonder whether any church in our rapidly changing culture would be missed for more than a few days or weeks.

I know of a good church in a small community of 4,500 people that would be missed for a little while, but then people would just move on and forget about it.

Then I think of say...our church in Garland. It seems to me a strong church, but how long it would be missed in a city of that size is questionable to me.

I agree with your thoughts. We need to be community transformation partners. But in a culture that's grown accustomed to seeing ministries, businesses and even families go in and out of existence every day, I doubt that many, if any would be missed long.

In my opinion another question to consider is whether we're making any eternal, kingdom difference. If your church, or any other church for that matter went out of existence, would kingdom work even notice the loss?

Push back! Thanks for making me think.

lukasuzuki said...

I want to explain my words.I praize the Lord.

Chrurch which is speaked which are called by God and people"I miss you!" is excellent!

My comment before was not clear........

David P Smith said...

Kevin,
You are probably right! The question should be "are we making a kingdom difference?". I like that!
Let's make that difference.
David

Anonymous said...

most churches that die....and they all do eventually...die seem to die long drawn out deaths. They are just like people. When they have suffered for a long time and have been ineffective for a long time you are almost glad that they went. It seems that it is that way with churches also.

David P Smith said...

Anonymous, you are so right.
All churches eventually die. We honor those that make it over 100 or even 200 years. Yet they too must die.
What is important to note in this is: how many children did they have before they died? Our churches have become like our society. We are having fewer and fewer children and will eventually be replaced by those who had children. Churches must begin reproducing themselves or they will be replaced by those having children; more churches!
David